Lester-Garland Premises Provincial Historic Site

263.gif
Located in Trinity, the site serves as an example of the mercantile business which existed in colonial Newfoundland and the "Truck System" of the late 18th and 19th centuries. In 1748, Benjamin Lester of Poole acquired a piece of land in Trinity from his father-in-law, and upon it established the headquarters and central business premises for an extensive mercantile business along the northeast coast of Newfoundland and the coast of Labrador. After Lester’s death in 1802, his son-in-law George Garland acquired the property and operated the business until 1825. Various firms leased the property until 1900, when the Ryan Brothers acquired the site until 1952. It is not known when the site was constructed, however there is evidence that the site was constructed in various stages, such as the "counting house" which existed on the property as early as the 1760's. The restored building consists of authentic and reconstructed office furniture c. 1820 in the counting house section of the building, while the store section has been restored to the 1910 period with artifacts and reproductions from the time period.

Location: West Street, Trinity following Routes 230 or 239

Gift shop

Wheelchair accessible

Listing Details

Address
P.O.Box 8, Trinity, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, A0C 250
Telephone
709-464-3599
E-mail
Hours
$7.50 for six historic sites - Trinity Museum, Green Family Gorge, Hiscock House, Ryan Shop, Trinity Interpretation Centre
Map
Driving Directions